Sunday, July 26, 2009

Trying out the new Yahoo homepage

I know it’s a bit late, but then I tried out the new Yahoo homepage this weekend
To say the least I was really surprised because I had read, Carol Bartz referring to a wow experience. I had also read Yahoo Finally Rolls Out New Homepage to the Masses–and, Drum Roll, It’s Good

I was left wondering how anyone could use descriptions like wow, its good. I am not sure if they had the time to even go through the homepage.

Some of the things which I noticed or I should say things I could not help noticing.
  1. The homepage looks new. That’s the best I can describe it as
  2. Once you try to sign in. It takes you to a page which looks as if it was designed decades ago.
  3. In My Favorites - I configured Gmail and clicked on the preview, it gave a message to the effect that it could not connect to Gmail
  4. When I tried for the second time, I could seem emails on the preview pane and when I clicked on it, it took me to a page which said something of the effect of link not found.
  5. I didn’t give up, I hit the back button and I tried once more, it took me to the home page of Google.
  6. Another back button and tired once more. I go to the login page of Gmail. I was left wondering. I should have been taken to the inbox of Gmail as I had already provided my login details
Whatever! I gave it up.

If I had heard more realistic views on the new homepage, I would not have tried the new page.

I hope Yahoo! does better for itself by not coming out with half-baked products.